In celebration “Every Kid Healthy” week, we gathered some easy-to-make healthy recipes for your kids to enjoy! Children can be difficult to please when it comes to the food that they will eat. However, fast food doesn’t have to be an option. Here are three MyRecipes-inspired nutritious meals that your kids won’t mind digging into. Read more about the recipes below.
Honey-Ginger Chicken Bites
⅔ cup honey
2 tablespoons minced peeled ginger
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1 teaspoon orange rind
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 ¼ pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted (if desired)
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix the first 9 ingredients together in a bowl or bag; coat chicken with the mixture marinade and refrigerate for 2 hours at most.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Organize chicken on the cooking spray-coated rack in a single layer; sprinkle salt and pepper on chicken.
- Bake at 425° for 20 minutes; while baking, use a sieve to strain the marinade into a bowl; dispose of the solids. Bring marinade to a boil in a saucepan and cook 3 minutes; stir cornstarch and water in a small bowl using a whisk. When fully blended, add mixture to pan and stir using a whisk, while cooking for a minute. Take off the heat and pour glaze into a large bowl.
- Preheat broiler.
- Put the chicken in the glaze and coat well. Lay chicken on a jelly roll pan and broil for 5 minutes or until browned; stir twice.
- When done, sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional)
Banana Blueberry Pancakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1-¼ cups fat-free milk
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1- ½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a large bowl, mix the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Mix the egg, milk, bananas, and vanilla, then stir into dry ingredients until moistened.
- Pour ¼ cupfuls batter onto a hot griddle; sprinkle with blueberries.
- Flip when bubbles appear on top and cook until the second side is golden brown.
- Serve with a syrup of your choosing and sliced bananas as desired.
Simple Turkey Sloppy Joes
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 large red onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
½ cup barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon salt
8 hamburger buns, split
- Cook turkey, onion and pepper in a large skillet using medium heat for 6-8 minutes, or when vegetables are tender and the turkey is no longer pink. Break turkey into crumbles.
- Add tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, and seasonings to turkey and stir. Let boil, then reduce heat and let simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Serve on buns.
These delicious and nutritious meals will have your kids wanting more. If you wish to try these recipes, head on over to Bricco Salumeria & Pasta Shop located in Boston’s North End to get all the ingredients in one place! Call us now or visit our website to learn more about our offerings.